Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Quick & Easy Quesadilla & Pico de Gallo

I am a great lover of quick and easy meals, especially when they are healthy to boot. This meal fits the bill, and I highly recommend it. For this pico, I simply diced some roma tomatoes, onions, and garlic, squeezed fresh lime juice over it, stirred in fresh chopped cilantro, and called it a day. I only lament the fact that I didn't have any jalapeno to toss in. Even so, it was delicious. The next step was to make refried beans. My method for this is crazy easy. Heat 1 T or so of oil in a large skillet over medium to medium high heat. Drain and rinse a can of pinto beans and add to hot skillet. Cook for a few minutes until fragrant and beans are warm, then start mashing. Once sufficiently mashed, add cumin, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Stir in broth until the beans are the desired consistency, and remove from heat. This generally takes all of 10 minutes tops. I then busted out my favorite tortillas on the planet, the whole wheat Tam-x-icos! tortillas, lovingly applied the frijoles refritos, sprinkled on little sharp cheddar cheese, and gave it a couple minutes on each side in a hot pan. Making 4 of these and the pico took me 20 minutes start to finish, and that includes shredding my own cheese. Of course the possibilities are endless when it comes to fillings. One of my favorites is apple, grated carrot, and cheddar, which would be muy delicioso with a fruit salsa (I will have to dig up my recipe for that soon mmmmm). If you have any good salsa recipes or quesadilla filling suggestions please share!

No comments: