Wednesday, October 15, 2008

October Eye Candy

Every fall I am overwhelmed with the desire once again feel the crisp autumn air, see the trees blazing with red and orange leaves, and taste fresh apple cider while waiting to take the hayride out to the pumpkin patch to pick our own pumpkins. I love fall in Indiana. The problem is I am not in Indiana. I am in southwest Florida where the air is balmy and heavy and all our apples are imported from Washington and Michigan. Where I laugh heartily at the selection of parka-like Halloween costumes at Target which are good for nothing down here but inducing heat stroke. The other day I found myself getting downright cranky about Florida's flat refusal to recognize that there has, in fact, been a change in season. Then I stopped by my grandma's house and was somewhat consoled by this:



I may not get my favorite version of fall weather down here, but I have to confess that Florida fall does have its charms. Like this:





Be forewarned that despite all this flowering loveliness, I will still complain bitterly about not being able to enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving meal because it is too daggone hot and that it never feels like Christmas here. I'm just keeping it honest; I do it every year. On those days, remind me to look back at these photos:


Sometimes these extreme close-ups of orchids seem like a violation of the flower's privacy.






What is fall like where you live? Do you like it or dislike it? What is your favorite season and why? I am burning with curiosity, please share.

No comments: