Sunday, May 4, 2008

Currylicious


I get a hankering for curry on a fairly regular basis. It all started back in college when I waited tables at an Indian restaurant. Prior to that, Taco Bell was the spiciest food I had ever eaten and Indian cuisine was in the realm of the mystical. Naturally, since it was my first year of college, I was feeling quite cosmopolitan and ventured into a restaurant by the name of A Passage to India emanating exotic aromas . I've always been an EM Forster fan so I figured it was worth a try. It so happened they were hiring and, as I was interested in possessing some extra cash, an agreement was reached. The owner, who also did all the cooking, would make food for us after every shift. I started out with mango lassis and chai with chipatis. Then I got brave and ventured onto chicken biryani (mild of course) and pakora with tamarind chutney. It was all over at that point. By the end of my first semester, I was eating dishes that were "Indian hot". It made my nose run and my eyes water and I loved it. And the people said "Amen." In fact, I will go on record as saying that there is no food better than Indian food.

So far, E. is the only one of my offspring who likes it, and that's why she's my favorite. Anyway, this is what I made for dinner last night to get my curry fix. It is on the hotter side of medium spiciness, so adjust the amount of curry powder according to your preference and the strength/freshness of your curry powder. Oh, and feel free to substitute away. You could replace the potatoes with chickpeas or the spinach with green beans, and if I'm feeling saucy, I'll through in some cumin seeds with the garlic. A side of raita (plain yogurt with cucumber basically) to cool it off would be yummy. Want me to quit yakking and give you the recipe? You got it! If you have any great curry recipes I'd love to know!
Yummilicious Curry
Cooking oil
1 cup diced onion
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 cups diced potatoes
4 cups chopped tomatoes
2 cups of cauliflower
2 cups of baby spinach
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ginger

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onions until they become translucent and are beginning to turn golden. Add potatoes and garlic, and cook until the potatoes are beginning to brown. Add spices, and stir to coat. Cook 1 minute, then add tomatoes and simmer 8 minutes. Stir in cauliflower and spinach; cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until spinach is wilted and potatoes are tender.

No comments: