Friday, July 11, 2008

Polymethyl Methacrylate

Poly-wha...? I have had the word polymethyl methacrylate stuck in my head since we covered dental materials in dental assisting school in 1999. While in school it was floating in my brain constantly. I would wake myself up at night saying it out loud. I would be thinking it while having everyday conversations. Now I only think of it a couple times a month most generally. Oh, I've had more annoying things stuck in my head for longer periods of time like "Ice, Ice Baby" by one Vanilla Ice. Whenever (and I do mean every. single. time.) somebody says "stop", I immediately complete the thought with,
"collaborate and listen
Ice is back with my brand new invention
Something grabs a hold of me tightly
Then I flow like a harpoon daily and nightly
Will it ever stop? yo -- I dont know
Turn off the lights and Ill glow
To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle."

I hear the phrase "straight to the point" much less often but I inevitably follow it with,
"Quick to the point, to the point no faking. I'm cooking mcs like a pound of bacon." Clearly I have issues. I never even liked the song. I would like to note at this point that my husband uses these phrases just to torment me. Anyhoo, I mention all this because I have a new word that has been plaguing me day and night since I started my medical transcription coursework. That word is epicondyle. I dream about it. Chances are good that if you are having a conversation with me, I am repeating silently to myself the entire time. Epicondyle, epicondyle, epicondyle. On occasion it is temporarily replaced by mesentery, but not for long. Have I mentioned I have issues? Does anyone else share this affliction with me? What words and/or songs get trapped in your head? Please share. We might as well be in this together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In almost every conversation I have in French, I try to somehow work in portefeuille or fauteuil.

Something like: Pardon, j'ai oublie ma portefeuille et j'ai tres faim parce que le soleil est chaud et j'ai une boursouflure sur mon grand orteil et cette voiture est une SmartCar rouge comme le mien

D said...

Oh Henry! Vos commentaires mettent plein d'esprit moi un grand divertissement!

Julie D said...

Okay, I have one for ya. Every time I hear even the smallest portion of this commercial, I am singing the main part for hours on end. I can't stop myself. Here it is.... F-R-E-E that spells free, credit report dot com baby. Sound familiar? I can't stop myself from singing it. I'm terrified I'm going to learn the rest of the commercial one day. AAAAHHHH!