Friday, April 11, 2008

Beans, Beans The Musical Fruit

Let me preface this post by saying that I have never been what you might call a fan of beans or cornbread. Cornbread was almost always too dry and bland. Beans were squishy and smelled weird. My husband and kids, however, love beans and all but N love cornbread so I decided to try this recipe from Pioneer Woman: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/08/beans_and_cornb/ Wow! WOW! I hope the use of all caps, bold, italics, and red letters properly convey just how shocked I was at just how good these beans and cornbread were. The beans were not too mushy or squishy and didn't smell weird. They smelled like bacon which, of course, is a good thing. I substituted butter for the shortening in the cornbread recipe which imparted a lovely buttery flavor. It was wonderfully crisp and crunchy on the outside while moist and fluffy on the inside. Completely divine.

No comments: